With xpedx’s recent announcement that the Middletown, Conn. facility earned the ENERGY STAR® designation, I am happy to report that we have officially accomplished our 2013 Sustainability Goals. These goals, as described below, focused on providing sustainable leadership, maintaining sustainable operations and offering sustainable choices, and inspiring our customers to do the same.
The 2013 goals included:
- Increase our efforts with the Sustainability Survey and Scorecard. In 2013, xpedx enhanced this program and continued to engage suppliers representing 75 percent of our purchases. The results of this year’s Survey and Scorecard will serve as the benchmark metrics for 2014 and beyond, and allow us to more effectively respond to the needs of our customers.
- Earn the ENERGY STAR at seven sites. In addition to Middletown, Conn., xpedx previously earned the designation in Cleveland, Seattle, Columbia, Charlotte, Roanoke and El Paso. xpedx has earned the ENERGY STAR at 27 facilities nationwide.
- Expand recycling at our facilities. xpedx partnered with a third-party organization to track waste diversion rates at all of our locations in an effort to reduce landfill materials.
- Earn the Green Globes® at one of our locations. We received a two Green Globes rating at our Fairfield, Ohio facility earlier this year. This third-party assessment and rating system is used to evaluate green building design, operation and management.
- Continue to operate as a SmartWay® Transport Partner. We maintained our position as a SmartWay partner, reflecting our commitment to reduce emissions from our fleet.
- Maintain Chain of Custody Certification. This year, we renewed our Chain of Custody certification with the Forest Stewardship Council (SFC®), Sustainable Forestry Initiative (SFI®) and Programme for the Endorsement of Forest Certification (PEFC™). We also continued our policy in which at least 90 percent of our marketing materials use Chain of Custody certified paper, and began purchasing consumable food and paper products for internal use only from suppliers that adhere to environmental efficiency guidelines.
As you can see, it has been a very busy and successful year for our sustainable efforts at xpedx. I look forward to building off our positive momentum as we move forward in 2014.