When it comes to the effort to find more sustainable business practices, the mailing industry has received some undeserved criticism. It is a common misconception to think that cutting down a tree to produce a product is not a sustainable model. However, there are numerous benefits associated with the use of paper that is harvested from our nation’s plentiful forests.
When paper is used in direct mail campaigns, both the environment and a company’s bottom line are rewarded. For instance:
- The forest products industry plants three trees for every one that it harvest
- Purchases made via the mail save 75 million gallons of gas annually
- The mailing industry pays 90 percent of USPS bills
- The mailing industry accounts for $1 trillion in annual sales and 8 million mailing industry jobs
- Every dollar spent on catalog marketing generates a return on investment of $7.32
- Every dollar spent for non-catalog direct mail generates an average return on investment of $15.22
International Paper and xpedx have strong reputations in the paper products business and believe in the industry’s many positives. To learn more about the state of the mailing industry, and the benefits it brings to the environment, visit International Paper’s “IP moves the mail” website.